About the Teacher
I am Yolanda R. Flie, your child’s 5th Grade English Language Arts teacher. I am very excited to be your child’s teacher this year. A little about me… I grew up in Arkansas, our neighboring state, and graduated from the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. I have a Master’s of Arts in Teaching from Belhaven University. I am also a military "brat", so I have had an opportunity to live in a few interesting places before moving to the South. My dad served 26 years in the US Air Force, and I think this is where I developed my love of traveling and meeting new people. ;-).
I have been married to my wonderful husband of 23 years, Deon Flie, and we have three children, Jailyn, 19, Donovan, 17, and Dorian, 15. My family and I enjoy spending time together and traveling to visit nearby relatives. We also are active in our church, Brown Missionary Baptist. I am a children’s ministry teacher and my children and husband participate in various ministries.
This is my tenth year at DeSoto Central. I came here from Pleasant Hill Elementary. This is my second year in fifth grade. I have taught fourth grade before and have worked in Special Education while at Pleasant Hill.
Prior to working in education, I have been a stay-at-home mom. I enjoyed that successful career for six years before deciding to fulfill my call to TEACH.
I look forward to diving into this school year with your child and believe that it’s okay to have fun while doing it. I hope you and your child are looking forward to a FANTASTIC 5th grade year, because we will be striving for nothing less.
If you need to contact me, you may do so in four ways – either through this website, School Status, Schoology, or by phone at (662) 349-6234, ext. 355.
Mrs. Flie’s Homeroom
8:05 - 8:30 Morning arrival/Bell Work
8:30 - 8:40 Daily Announcements/Pledge/Lunch Count
8:50 - 10:10 Mrs. Cox's Math - First Block
10:10 - 11:35 Mrs. Hicks Science & S.S. - Second Block
11:40 - 3:05 Mrs. Flie's Homeroom ELA -Third Block
11:40 - 12:30 LUNCH
12:35 - 12:55 RECESS
1:30 - 2:15 ACTIVITY
3:05 -3:20 Dismissal
Monday - Library
Tuesday - Art
Wednesday - Music
Thursday - Computer
Friday - P.E.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING. This information can be helpful for all students, especially any that may be returning sometime this semester from distance learning.
1. Water bottles - needed everyday no water fountains are available. Bottles can be refilled here at school.
2. Send in devices if you child has one (no phones). Tablets or laptops. Students will use these for instruction at some point for all subjects.
3. Activity schedule & time has changed:
• Mon. Library
• Tues. Art
• Wed. Music
• Thurs. Computer
• Fri. P.E.
Our new time is 1:30 - 2:15.
4. Lanyards - Students were each given a lanyard to help them keep up with their masks. Please remind them to bring them home to wash on Fridays. Hand washing recommended.
5. Lunch cards - Students in class use a barcoded card to scan for their lunch account. If these come home by accident, please return them to school. Thanks!😊
6. Teachers rotate classrooms - students stay in their homeroom class.
7. Snack bags from PTO - Due to the restrictions in the classroom due to Covid- 19 and our very strict daily schedules, the PTO has decided to not offer snacks this year at school. Students need to bring snacks from home each day if they would like one. If you would like to send in extra snack items for those who may need one, that would be greatly appreciated.
8. PTO membership and room parent - Please join the PTO even if you are unable to attend meetings. Attending meetings is not required. This is a fundraiser and the support helps the PTO purchase technology and other items for our school. Please send forms and money back by the date listed on the packet. The membership fee is $5 per family. Thanks for all the volunteers for room parent and helpers. I will be in touch soon to share information.
9. Instructional Fees- In person student fee is $8. VIP is $3.25. All fees due by Friday, Sept. 11th.
Please try to upload work to Schoology so it can go to the teacher that assigned it.
Be sure to use Schoology to submit work . It keeps track of what has been submitted all in one place.
Help tickets are linked to students’ emails . Please use their school email to create help tickets. Also discuss the importance of internet security by not sharing their email and passwords with others.
Students must log in and complete work daily to be counted present.
We had a great first week and so far this one has started off well. Thank you parents for all of your support!